- Advanced high-end drivers.
- Faceted cabinet baffle for reduced high frequency diffraction.
- Inclined baffle for correct time alignment of drivers (allowing for simpler cross-over design).
- Wedge shaped inner rear walls behind midwoofer for reduced direct reflections.
- Internal bracing to reduce and distribute cabinet vibrations and hence lower sound coloration.
- Solid single-wiring binding posts.
Dimensions (H x W x D) : 391 x 190 x 388 mm ( 15.4 x 7.48 x 15.27 inch )
This design, with prebuilt crossovers and assembly ready cabinets can be found in shops.
The ARA Be is a 2-way stand mount kit which takes the ARA performance to the highest level with the SATORI TW29BN Beryllium tweeter and revised crossover. The TW29BN has been independently announced by many as the best tweeter in the world.
ARA is the highest point of komodo Island in Indonesia and particularly notable as the habitat of the spectacular and mythical Komodo dragons. The ARA kit is designed to deliver top level transparent and dynamic sound reproduction
The ARA’s faceted baffle is specially designed to reduce high frequency diffraction and yields superb imaging qualities. A further 7⁰ reclined cabinet ensures time alignment resulting in sublime staging and pin point placement of instruments.
The cabinet is masterfully crafted from 18 mm MDF with internal bracing to distribute cabinet vibrations and lower sound coloration. Unwanted reflection are minimized by wedge shaped inner rear walls. the ARA has a large rear firing port and high quality speaker terminals on a solid aluminum binding post plate.
For a larger speaker with similar design goals look to the RINJANI and RINJANI Be which are the larger floor standing siblings of the ARA.
Parts List (each cabinet):
- 1pc - High frequency driver Satori TW29BN / TW29BN-B (sold separately)
- 1pc - Low frequency driver 6½" Satori MW16P-4 / MW16PNW-4 (sold separately)
- 1pc - Ara crossover kit (sold separately)
- 12pcs - Hex socket screw M4 x 20mm (for drivers)
- 4pcs - Countersunk screw M4 x 20mm (for terminal plate)
- 6pcs - Wood screw 4 x 16 mm for crossover (from crossover kit)
- 16pcs - Insert nut M4 (installed on cabinet)
- 1pc - Stainless Terminal plate
- 1pair - Binding posts
- 1pc - Seal gasket (for terminal plate)
- 1pc - Port flare (installed on cabinet)
- Port paper tube (installed on cabinet)
- 1pc - Damping
- 1pc - Name plate
- 1pc - Tweeter grill
- 1pc - Woofer grill
- Hex key 3mm size (for driver screw)
- Hex key 2.5mm size (for terminal plate screw)
- Philips screwdriver no. 2 (for crossover screw)
- Hot melt glue gun (for attaching the damping and sealing the wire hole)
1. Take out the cabinet from the packaging and take out the raw damping material from the cabinet.
2. Cut the raw damping material to 7 pcs of damping according to the cutting pattern diagram.
3. Place the crossover on the bottom panel inside the cabinet as shown. Place the two big inductors towards the rear terminal.
4. Mount the crossover with the 6 screws supplied.
5. Pass the input wire through the hole in the rear panel of the cabinet.
6. Seal the cable hole with hot melt glue
7. Pull the tweeter cable through the hole in cabinet bracing.
8. Place each damping part into the cabinet according to position the diagram. Add a bit of glue if needed to hold the damping material in place.
Pass the input cable through the terminal hole on the back of the cabinet, and connect them to the binding posts.
9. Mount the terminal plate to the terminal hole at the back of the cabinet.
10. Hook up the cable to the tweeter and woofer terminals.
11. Carefully place the drivers in the cabinet and fasten the screws.
12. Repeat for the other cabinet and your SB ACOUSTICS Ara are now complete. Enjoy!